What is Computer Forensics?
There a number of slightly varying definitions around. However, generally, computer forensics is considered to be the use of analytical and investigative techniques to identify, collect, examine and preserve evidence/information which is magnetically stored or encoded.
What is the objective of this?
Usually to provide digital evidence of a specific or general activity.
To what ends?
A forensic investigation can be initiated for a variety of reasons. The most high profile are usually with respect to criminal investigation, or civil litigation, but forensic techniques can be of value in a wide variety of situations, including perhaps, simply re-tracking steps taken when data has been lost.
What are the common scenarios?
Wide and varied! Examples include:
- Employee Internet abuse
- Unauthorized disclosure of corporate information and data (accidental and intentional)
- Industrial espionage
- Damage assessment (following an incident)
- Criminal fraud and deception cases
- More general criminal cases (many criminals simply store information on computers, intentionally or unwittingly)and countless others!
How is a computer forensic investigation approached?
It's a detailed science. However, very broadly, the main phases are:
- Acquire and preserve the evidence
- Analyze the evidence
- Present computer evidence by creating a case report to document the evidence and investigation results.
For more information about computer forensics or for rate information, please contact us at 518-437-1600.
About Computer Visions
Computer Visions is a New York State, woman-owned and operated provider of computer training, specializing in the education of business professionals.
Download Computer Visions Computer and Professional Development Training Catalog
Computer Visions July - December 2018 training catalog in PDF format.
Search Our Classes
NYS E-Commerce Initiative
Computer Visions is on New York State Contract. All New York State Agencies may contract with Computer Visions up to $200,000 without a bid under the New York State Certified Minority Women-Owned Business Program